Cigarette butt ignites tree apartment fire in Pullman

PULLMAN, WA - The Pullman Fire Department said that the structure fire that occurred late Wednesday night was caused by a cigarette butt.

According to PFD, the cigarette butt ignited a juniper tree near an apartment complex on Merman Drive, and the flames spread up the vinyl siding of the three story building.

Firefighters and police officers evacuated everyone in the building, but the fire was extinguished before it spread to the interior of the building. The fire department said that the burn caused about $20,000 in damage and no one was injured or displaced by the fire.