MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Microwave fire doused by quick-thinking student

What began as warming up Pop Tarts in a microwave turned into a small fire at a Washington State University dorm.

It happened around 2:30 p.m. Friday at Orton Hall at 1475 Olympia Avenue.

According to Pullman Fire Department PIO Glenn Johnson, a resident put the snack food in the mircowave, and started it.

That resident told Pullman Fire investigator Tony Nuttman that's when the unit began to smoke and burst into flames.

A quick-thinking resident grabbed a fire extinguisher and put it out it did any major damage.

Nuttman said he is looking at how it the mircowave could have malfunctioned.

He's also looking to see if it could be related to another microwave fire at Orton Hall that Pullman firefighters responded to in the last couple of weeks.

Trending