Two National Guardsmen alert women of chimney fire

LEWISTON, ID - A local woman said she and her sister are lucky to be alive because of two National Guardsmen who came to the rescue after they saw smoke coming from the house.

"About four feet of flames coming out of the chimney at the time and a big cloud of smoke over the house," said Brady Walker.

That was the scene that National Guardsmen Brady Walker and Zachary Carter came upon when driving home from Moscow early Sunday evening.

Not seeing any bystanders outside the house, Walker said his instincts kicked in to pull over and see if anyone was in the house.

"I don't know how many people may have driven by, because this is a busy street and didn't bother to stop," said Squires.

Homeowner Deanna Squires said she and her sister were just about to pop in a movie when Walker informed them of their chimney fire.

"He saved us," said Squires. "And I thank him for that, and I can't thank him enough."

"I think I was just in the right place at the right time to make a difference," said Walker.

Squires said she was completely unaware of the danger because the fire was contained in the chimney and attic area. Because of that, there was no smell of smoke or signs that a fire was even burning.

"I'm just glad that it didn't get so bad where people got hurt," said Walker.

Because of the keen awareness of the two National Guardsmen the Lewiston Fire Department was able to quickly put out the flames, before they spread to the rest of the house.

"He's our hero, they're both our hero's, yes they are," said Squires.

Squires said she routinely cleans her chimney, but this was the first year she hadn't gotten around to it. A friendly reminder to always maintain any active chimneys, as they can accumulate buildup over the course of one year.