MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Every home should have a carbon monoxide detector, the gas is a silent killer

alarm better.jpg

With the temperature quickly dropping, our community is bundling up for the winter ahead, but there are some dangers you need to look out for while heating your home this holiday season.

It comes from stoves, fireplaces, furnaces and gas ranges. We’re talking about carbon monoxide. It’s colorless, odorless and can affect your health without you even knowing it. That’s why it’s so dangerous and in some cases deadly.

I talked to Asotin County Fire Chief Noel Hardin about why this virtually invisible gas is so dangerous, and hot to protect your home for a potential issue.

"Carbon monoxide can come from many different sources that's why it's really key to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, especially where you can hear it in your bedroom if you’re sleeping because it can be a silent killer,” said Fire Chief Hardin.

Chief Hardin says that if you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector, go out and buy one. If you do own one, check your detectors battery often and make sure to follow the manufacturers guidelines on where to install it in your home. By following these simple steps and precautions, you could potentially be saving yourself and your loves ones lives.

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be mistaken for the flu, such as a persistent headache, weakness, upset stomach and even vomiting. Everyone is at risk from the gas. If you suspect you may have a carbon monoxide issue and do not have a detector, first, open all your windows to let the gas out and fresh air in. Call your local fire department to have them check your home. They can help you find the source of the gas, and can even help you install a detector in your home.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off

Trending