ID County Sheriff says one missing persons case isn't an accident

Terrence Woods and Connie Johnson have been missing since Friday

GRANGEVILLE, ID- Investigators with the Idaho County Sheriff's Office and multiple other agencies are still scouring the back country for two missing people. Terrence Woods and Connie Johnson have been missing since Friday.

We spoke with Idaho County Sheriff Doug Giddings on where investigators are searching. But Giddings says Woods' disappearance might not have been accidental.

"There's no response, there's nobody yelling for help. There's no anything," says Giddings.

Multiple crews are searching various areas in Idaho County for 76 year old Nezperce resident Connie Johnson and 27 year old Terrence Woods from Maryland.

"They've got dogs in there right now. They've got guys on horseback."

But search conditions are extremely difficult for crews because of the terrain.

"You can go this way or this way or this way or this way or this way, and it's not just like out on the prairie. Orogrande, everything is up or down. There's no level."

Idaho County is over 8,000 square miles. Connie Johnson was last seen at Fog Mountain in the Big Rock area. She and her dog Ace disappeared without a trace.

"You couldn't even walk through there, all the downed trees and the brush."

Terrence Woods was out in the Orogrande area shooting a documentary on Penman Mine. He was a production assistant, and workers on the scene told the Sheriff's Office he had been acting strange. As the crew was wrapping up for the day, Woods approached a steep drop.

"He went over to the edge and there were several people watching him including one of the local guys, and he said he just decided to take off, and he shot down that hill."

Crew members tried to go after woods, but weren't able to find him.

"And he would not stop, and he took off, and he just kept going. And they lost him at a road down below where you drop almost straight down, straight down a hill."

Crews are searching from the air and ground. So far, no new clues have been found despite searching from dusk till dawn since Friday. One crew has requested to stay in the back country and camp out until Thursday.

Gidding says there is still a belief both Johnson and Woods are alive, and he said crews wouldn't be searching if that wasn't the belief. Search and rescue efforts continued Wednesday at 7 AM. Rain and snow in the high mountain hampered helicopter search efforts on Tuesday.

close video ad
Unmutetoggle ad audio on off